Alexander-Arnold rocket seals Liverpool victory over fiery Newcastle | premier league

Uncertainty catches up with the Premier League once again but for Liverpool winning is once again a matter of routine. Jürgen Klopp’s side followed Manchester City to the top of the Premier League with an eighth consecutive victory, with Liverpool becoming the first club in English history to record 2,000 Premier League wins.

Newcastle were much more stubborn and dynamic opponents than their modest position in the league suggests and led until Jonjo Shelvey’s first strike. But a controversial equalizer from Diogo Jota, final goal from Mohamed Salah and a superb late finish from Trent Alexander-Arnold delivered another vital victory and extended Liverpool’s goal streak to a club-record 32 consecutive games. The last time Liverpool didn’t score was when they exited the Champions League against Real Madrid in April.

It was impossible to escape parallels with Atlético Madrid visiting here in March 2020, the last ‘mass gathering’ in English football before the first lockdown, with Covid-19 a disturbing new backdrop for the events of ‘Anfield. The Liverpool squad have all been vaccinated and have had no cases to face, Klopp revealed on Wednesday. On Thursday morning, however, Virgil van Dijk, Fabinho and Curtis Jones all returned suspected positive tests and will self-isolate while undergoing further tests.

The Liverpool manager has used his program notes, meanwhile, to make a strong case for vaccinations. “I will not apologize for the opinion I have on vaccination, no matter how unpopular it might make me in certain segments of society,” he wrote. “Listen to the experts. Ignore those who claim to know. Ignore lies and misinformation. Listen to the people who know best. If you do this, you will end up wanting the vaccine and the booster. “

Mohamed Salah made it 2-1, as Liverpool fought back after falling 1-0 at the start. Photograph: John Powell / Liverpool FC / Getty Images

The late disruption of Klopp’s plans had no immediate impact on Liverpool’s performance. Mohamed Salah tormented Jamal Lewis on several occasions from the start and created the first chance for Diogo Jota as Martin Dubravka saved at his near post, while Newcastle only touched the ball by clearing it. Hence the stunned silence around most of the stadium, with the exception of a raving outside section, when the visitors took the lead the first time they ventured into the half. Liverpool ground.

The changes imposed on Klopp’s squad have been announced. A fluid break was triggered by Ryan Fraser, who freed Allan Saint-Maximin on the left and overflowed for a return ball after the forward easily pushed off Ibrahima Konaté. Fraser’s Cross sailed behind its intended targets to Thiago Alcântara. The midfielder spoiled his clearance attempt, cutting the path of Jonjo Shelvey who had time to choose his place and swept a nice finish inside the long-rooted Alisson right post. Liverpool almost responded immediately with Mane hitting a post from Salah’s exquisite pass, although he was offside when found behind Newcastle’s defense.

The breaks started going against Howe’s team afterwards. Lewis suffered a hamstring injury, entrusting substitute Matt Ritchie with the task of choking Salah, and controversy surrounded Liverpool’s equalizer when Mike Dean allowed play to continue when Isaac Hayden fell with an injury lead into Newcastle’s penalty area.

Hayden collided with Fabian Schär when his teammate cleared a Liverpool corner and stayed on the ground as the ball was returned to Mané. Hayden played Jota to the side as Mané moved to the far post, where the Portugal international’s header was well saved by Dubravka but his rebound was forcefully pierced into the roof of the net. Newcastle’s bench and the players naturally raged over Dean’s decision to play, but the referee didn’t budge.

Another mistake from Thiago almost gave Newcastle the lead, his reckless cross ball giving Saint-Maximin the opportunity to pull away from Konaté and shoot a nice save from Alisson low to his right. There was no respite for Shelvey when he got it wrong moments later.

The former Liverpool midfielder erased his night shift with a terrible backpass that was hit by the always alert Mané. He tried to push an awkward shot past Dubravka and, although the keeper blocked with his legs, the rebound fell on Liverpool for the second time. Salah was right with the loose ball, scoring his 22nd goal of the season in the near post.

With Callum Wilson resting on the bench and Joelinton part of a five-man midfielder, Saint-Maximin had the daunting task of leading Newcastle’s line on his own. He worked tirelessly to disrupt Liverpool’s defense and sent Jacob Murphy rushing to the right to cross for Fraser who, closing in on Alisson’s goal, was pushed back by a perfectly executed tackle from Alexander-Arnold.

Newcastle supporters called for a penalty but the Liverpool defender swept the ball under the winger’s toes. Murphy, with a curling effort from the corner of the box, and Shelvey, with a 25-yard free kick, both came closer as the visitors threatened to equalize in a deliberate display in the second half. Saint-Maximin injured his knee in preparation for Luck Fraser and was eventually replaced by Wilson.

Liverpool sealed the victory in stunning style when a free kick found its way to Alexander-Arnold’s feet 25 yards from goal. Anfield yelled “Shoot” as the defender took aim and their advice was rewarded with an unstoppable ball that flew into the Newcastle keeper’s top corner.

The Fiver: Sign up and receive our daily football email.

Comments are closed.